Extending or Changing a Canadian Temporary Work Permit

A work permit only allows a foreign national to work in Canada temporarily. There are four situations in which workers must extend or change their Canadian temporary work permits:

  1. The worker’s job is extended or changed. In these cases, foreign workers must immediately apply to extend or change the conditions of their current work permit before the permit expires.
  2. The worker is offered a different job in Canada. In these cases, a worker must apply for a completely new work permit and cannot start their new job without a new work permit. The new work permit must reflect the worker’s new job.
  3. The worker wants to live and work in Canada permanently. In these cases, the worker must apply under one of Canada’s permanent residence categories.
  4. The worker wants to leave Canada and then re-enter: When work permit holders leave Canada, they will be allowed to make arrangements to extend their work permit. This will allow the holder to resume work when he/she returns to Canada. When the worker returns to Canada, one of the following things will happen:
    1. If the work permit extension is still being processed, the worker will be allowed to enter Canada as a visitor until the processing is complete. The worker will NOT be allowed to work until the extension is accepted. Part of the extension process may involve workers being asked to prove that they have enough money to support themselves in Canada.
    2. If the permit extension has been accepted, the worker will be allowed to re-enter Canada and work immediately.
    3. If the extension was rejected or not arranged for, the worker will have to apply for a completely new work permit in order to work again in Canada.